Thursday, November 26, 2015

I was reading a brochure on relationships and one of the points I came today said this,
"Be willing to admit you're wrong and say I'm sorry".

I was just thinking, do all arguments necessarily have to have one party who is at fault?
Sometimes, disagreements can arise out of different opinions towards a subject matter,
with none being necessarily right or wrong per se.
The perils of subjectivity.
But even in law, we learn that there isn't really that objective reasonable man we speak of,
so whose standards do we then based our opinions on?
What happens then if neither parties are blameworthy?
Agree to disagree?
Compromise?

I always arrived back at this quote though,
but it's just so hard to live it out all the time.
"But I have come to learn that life is not about winning philosophical arguments, it is about love, relationship and grace. It is about whether the ideas we hold can make us better people. You can win an argument but lose your witness."

I'm not even going to deny that I'm a naturally defensive person,
and everyday I'm learning to be less and less so.
But it takes time.

No comments: